Thursday, January 8, 2015

Prioritize

I have been reading lots of blogs the past week ( though I am sticking to my goal of less time on the computer), and I am noticing that for many quilters the New Year is an opportunity to make quilting goals and to take stock of that ever growing pile of UFOs. If you don't have one of those piles then this I am sure this seems crazy but for many of us there are projects in various stages of completion that may, or may not be worth finishing. Ok, I confess I don't have the desire to make a count of all my projects just yet but I do think it is time to look around and start prioritizing stuff. One thing I have noticed is that often the quilts that end up finished aren't really the ones I most want done and that leaves me with a whole bunch of really nice stuff that will never see the light of day if I don't refocus some of my energy. So my word for 2015 is "prioritize". And this applies to lots more than just my quilting, I need to apply it to my time in other areas, my spending and even my health. First up is to put my adaptation of the Rachel Meyer quilt higher on my list this year. I love this quilt and really think it deserves to be finished so, with that in mind, I completed one more block this past week.

This is such an interesting block to me as it is speculated to be a Christmas cactus. How exotic a plant that must have been in the 1830's when it is thought that the original was made. It is not my favorite block to look at but I do love the addition of the deer. What an imagination the designer had.

I did finish sewing my Scrappy Trip to France quilt. It was such fun using so many of the French General fabrics that I have collected being used. You might notice that I am using lots of French General in the Rachel Meyer quilt as well, I love so many of their fabrics. Since my quilt holder is occupied elsewhere I took a shot of the quilt in a decorative setting. As you can see I am NOT much of a photographer and if you look closely you can see me, in my jammies, in that mirror behind the quilt but doesn't it look pretty against the aqua walls and red transferware! Can't wait for my sitting room to be finished.

 

 

19 comments:

Karen said...

Your applique block is beautiful. The deer an unexpected and very nice surprise. I don't know if that is original to the design but I like it.

Janet said...

Well said! Me too! Love both the block and the trip top. Never would have noticed the Jammie's - lol!

Aunt 'Reen said...

Your applique block is gorgeous!
I agree with your thought of a Christmas Cactus!

Your Trip to France looks wonderful too!

Barb said...

I love that top...

Rachaeldaisy said...

Prioritise is a great word, and a great plan for 2015. Your Christmas Cactus block is beautiful!! I love your Scrappy Trip to France photo. It's wonderful to see how perfectly it matches your home.

Tazzie said...

Your appliqué block is just lovely, very nicely done. I also love French General fabric and red transfer ware. I see you have a piece or two of Masons Vista which is my particular favourite!
Huge
Tazzie
:-)

audrey said...

Wow! What a gorgeous block.:) I know what you mean about not finishing up the right stuff. I need to work on that too.

Cathy said...

I absolutely adore you applique block. It is beautiful. I'm trying to spend less time on the computer and more time sewing and quilting. So far so good.
Hugs

Jennie in GA said...

Gorgeous applique block with wonderful use of color. Laughing over your reflection in the mirror....something that would happen to me. Nice Jammie's:-))

Missie of Traditional Primitives said...

I love it! YOU in your jammies! Too cute! Love that applique block too...very nice! I like that word too...It is one of my goals this year also. I am so unorganized!

Kyle said...

Great word for the year, both in quilting and in life. Your block is gorgeous and the Scrappy trip to France turned out sweet. Great start.

Elaine said...

Love your Rachel block. I too am focusing on my wips this year, I keep abandoning favourite projects to start something new!

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

What a gorgeous applique block. My mom always had a huge Christmas cactus at Christmas. Would love to do this as a pillow

Barb said...

pretty block, I love the urn.
What a fabulous collection of red transfer ware - lovely!

Cardygirl said...

Great projects, love the applique! I mostly loved catching that glimpse of you...funny!

Janet said...

Stunning applique! I love what you're doing with these blocks.

Janet said...

I love your Rachel Meyer blocks.They are gorgeous. Your fabric choices and your applique is perfect. Also like your Stonefields too. Thank you for sharing.

Jane in Cumbria said...

Your Rachel Meyer is going to be stunning!

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

Love the quilt / transferware shot :)