Sunday, August 7, 2011

Work in progress

I am currently in love with pieced circle blocks and when I saw Kathy Doughty's "Pheasantville" in the April/May 2011 Quilter's Newsletter Magazine I knew I had to get piecing. Now I am not too great with paper piecing, I just get all confused, but though I hadn't hand pieced in a number of years I thought that I would give it a go. And I loved it. I have been hand appliquing for so long that I had forgotten the pleasure and portability of hand piecing. And the curves were no problem at all. I used the floral on the right side of the photo as my focus fabric and was planning to set the blocks on point using the floral as alternate blocks but I really didn't realize how big the blocks would be when I started and I don't have enough fabric. Now that they are on the design wall I think I may just leave them like this and add a small dk. pink border before the floral border. I cut the background at 18 in (in the pattern they are 16 in finished) because I wanted to see a bit more of the background and I should still end up with a decent sized quilt. I am also considering a small sawtooth border before the floral but think maybe I want the blocks to stand on their own. Any thoughts?

3 comments:

susis quilts said...

your circles look very beautiful a sawtoothborder maybe very good too,happy stitching,susi

Rachaeldaisy said...

What wonderful circles!! I've seen Kathy's Pheasantville quilt a few times and every time I think I should have a go at making those circles. You make them sound fun. I like them set the way you have them and a saw tooth border would look great!

LuAnn said...

I think those circles can sure stand on their own with just a thin pink inner border and the floral. What a great quilt. WOW!